1. Who we are and how to contact us
We are eTravel (Pty) Ltd, a private limited company incorporated in South Africa with company registration number 1999/003053/07 (‘eTravel’), and this is our privacy notice.
The eTravel App is licensed to eTravel by Travelport Digital Limited, a private limited company incorporated in the Republic of Ireland (‘Travelport Digital’). When we refer to ‘we’ or ‘us’ in this Privacy Notice we are referring to both eTravel and Travelport Digital.
You share your personal information with us and we jointly determine when and how to process your information.
Please contact us at +27 861eTrav2 or +27 861 387 282 if you have any questions about how we use your information, if you wish to correct the information we have about you, or if you want to alter your marketing preferences.
2. This privacy notice is part of your agreement with us
This privacy notice tells you what to expect when we collect and use your information on the eTravel App.
This notice was last updated on 31 July 2018.
3. We collect and use your personal information when you use the eTravel App
3.1. When you install or use the eTravel app
We collect information from or about your device when you install or access the eTravel App to help us provide consistent services across devices, for instance
- attributes such as the operating system, hardware version and device identifiers;
- device geographic information with a defined geographic boundary; and
- connection information such as language, time zone and IP address.
We collect information about how you use our services, such as the types of content you view or engage with and the frequency and duration of your activities.
We may use this information to analyse how you use the eTravel App. The unique identifier associated with your device will be pseudo-anonymised before we use it as part of other data we have gathered for analytics. This means that you will not be identifiable in any analytics reports or dashboards.
Once we know how you like to use the app, we can use that information to improve our services and your experience when you use the eTravel App.
3.2. When you create an account
When you create an account on the eTravel App we collect your
- name and surname
- email address
You will not be able to access the services on the eTravel App without creating an account and providing this information.
- giving you access to the eTravel App;
- verifying your identity when you sign in;
- displaying your profile information;
- retaining app settings for future use; and
- accessing trip itinerary information that was previously retrieved.
3.3. When we retrieve your trip itinerary information
We retrieve your trip information from companies that are owned or operated by Travelport Digital and third-party service providers, including
- Travel itinerary details
- Contact details
- Associated passenger information
- Associated travel professional details
- Booking status information, and
- Flight status information
3.4. When we send you notifications
With your permission we will send you in-app and push notifications about your active or upcoming trips, and about special offers from your travel professional. When you install the eTravel App we will ask you whether you want to allow these notifications. You can turn off notifications at any time through your device settings.
We may send you notifications about
- when we anticipate that check-in for a flight opens
- when the flight gate is announced
- when the flight status changes
- when the baggage reclaim belt is announced
- when the baggage reclaim belt changes
- special offers from your travel professional
4. We may share your information with our trusted suppliers
We use suppliers and service providers who we trust to help us provide our services to you. They have agreed to keep your information secure and confidential, and to only use it for the purposes for which we have sent it to them.
We use other companies to
- provide technical infrastructure services
- provide travel itinerary information
- make travel arrangements
- measure the effectiveness of our service
- analyse how the eTravel App is used
- help us manage our business, for instance accountants and professional advisors
Sometimes we will be required by law to share your information, for instance, to comply with health and safety legislation.
We may have to share your personal information to protect your or another individual’s vital interests, for instance in a medical emergency.
5. We send your information to other countries
Your information is stored and used in Ireland by Travelport Digital, while eTravel will use your information in South Africa. Some of the service providers that we use may be located in other countries. These countries may not have the same levels of protection of personal information as South Africa and Ireland. If this is the case, we require that our service providers undertake to protect the personal information that we share with them to the same extent that we do.
6. We don’t keep your information longer than we need to
We will not keep your information for longer than we need to unless we are legally required to. We will keep your information for as long as you have an account on the eTravel App.
7. You have the right to be informed about the personal information that we have, and what we do with it
You have the right to know what kind of personal information we have about you, to correct it, and to opt out of marketing.
You have the right to:
- ask what personal information we have about you;
- ask what information was sent to our suppliers, service providers or any other third party;
- ask us to update, correct or delete any out-of-date or incorrect personal information we have about you;
- unsubscribe from any direct marketing communications we may send you; and
- object to the processing of your personal information.
It can take us up to 30 days to respond to your request because there are procedures that we need to follow.
In certain cases, we may require proof of your identity and sometimes changes to your information may be subject to additional requirements.
8. We have taken reasonable security measures to minimise the impact of a breach
We have implemented reasonable security safeguards based on the sensitivity of the information to protect it from loss, misuse and unauthorised access, disclosure, alteration or destruction. For instance, we regularly monitor our systems for possible vulnerabilities and attacks. But no system is perfect, and we cannot guarantee that information may not be accessed, disclosed, altered or destroyed by breach of any of our physical, technical or managerial safeguards.
Although we cannot prevent all security threats, we have measures in place to minimise the threat to your privacy should something happen. We will let you know of any breaches which affect your personal information and inform you how you can minimise the impact.
Be careful not to share personal information with us in an email, because, while our servers are protected, it is still possible that email can be intercepted. Instead, contact us at +27 861eTrav2 or +27 861 387 282.
Version 1.0 – 31 July 2018